OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDERS (OCD) TREATMENT
When unwanted thoughts and fears that are obsessions start to bother you, these lead you to perform repetitive behaviours that are compulsion. This mental condition is called obsessive compulsive disorder. These obsessions followed by compulsions affect your daily activities and, as a result, cause significant distress. In the beginning, you may ignore your obsessions so that those stop, but it only increases your anxiety and distress. This leads you to do compulsive acts so that temporarily you can ease your stress. A common example of OCD is as follows:
You may incorporate excessive fear of getting contaminated by germs. To ease this contamination fear, you may repeatedly wash your hands.
OCD usually includes both obsessions and compulsions. There is a possibility that you may only have either obsessive symptoms or compulsive behavior symptoms. You may not even realize at times that those obsessions or compulsions are extremely unreasonable and unrealistic. This may become a hindrance in your daily life.
- Fear of dirt or contamination- you may fear to touch things people have already touched
- Doubt and fear of uncertainty- you may fear that you haven’t locked the door or turned off the gas
- Expecting things to be in proper order- stress occurs when you find things aren’t kept in order
- Horrific thoughts of hurting yourself or others- imagining that you are driving in a crowded place, thoughts of creating a scene in public
- Unwanted thoughts – aggression, sexual or religious object: This makes you avoid situations that you think may trigger your obsession
Compulsive Behavior Symptoms:
- Washing and cleaning- washing hands until it becomes rough
- Checking repeatedly- if the doors are closed
- Counting- certain patterns are there
- Orderliness- arranging everything repeatedly to make it look the same as before
- Following a routine- you may keep praying repeatedly or may repeat a word or a phrase
- Demanding resources
All these are symptoms of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and no one should delay discussing them with a psychiatrist. Take the help of a doctor, go for OCD treatment with proper counselling and therapy, and you can get rid of this disease.